‘Invite, Include, Imagine, Inspire’
Our values this term are 'Joy and Love'.
Love your neighbour as yourself. Mark 12:31
Article 31 You have the right to play and rest.
A YEAR 2 SPEAKER
- I can ask question to get more information and clarify meaning.
- I can talk in complete sentences.
- I can decide when I need to use specific vocabulary.
- I can take turns when talking in pairs or a small group.
- I am aware that formal and informal situations require different language (beginning).
- I can retell a story using narrative language and linking words and phrases.
- I can hold the attention of people I am speaking to by adapting the way I talk.
- I understand how to speak for different purposes and audiences (beginning).
- I can perform a simple poem from memory.
A YEAR 2 READER
- I can decode automatically and fluently.
- I can blend sounds in words that contain the graphemes we have learnt.
- I can recognise and read alternative sounds for graphemes.
- I can read accurately words of two or more syllables that contain the same GPCs.
- I can read words with common suffixes.
- I can read common exception words.
- I can read and comment on unusual correspondence between grapheme and phoneme.
- I read most words quickly and accurately when I have read them before without sounding out and blending.
- I can read most suitable books accurately, showing fluency and confidence.
- I can talk about and give an opinion on a range of texts.
- I can discuss the sequence of events in books and how they relate to each other.
- I use prior knowledge, including context and vocabulary, to understand texts.
- I can retell stories, including fairy stories and traditional tales.
- I can read for meaning and check that the text makes sense. I go back and re-read when it does not makes sense.
- I can find recurring language in stories and poems.
- I can talk about my favourite words and phrases in stories and poems.
- I can recite some poems by heart, with appropriate intonation.
- I can answer and ask questions.
- I can make predictions based on what I have read.
- I can draw (simple) inferences from illustrations, events, characters’ actions and speech.
A YEAR 2 WRITER
- I can segment spoken words into phonemes and record these as graphemes.
- I can spell words with alternatives spellings, including a few common homophones.
- I can spell longer words using suffixes such as ‘ment’, ‘ness’, ‘ful’, ‘less’, ‘ly’.
- I can use my knowledge of alternative phonemes to narrow down possibilities for accurate spelling.
- I can identify phonemes in unfamiliar words and use syllables to divide words.
- I can form lower-case letters of the correct size relative to one another.
- I can begin to use some of the diagonal and horizontal strokes needed to join letters.
- I show that I know which letters are best left unjoined.
- I use capital letters and digits of the correct size, orientation and relationship to one another and to lower case letters.
- I use spacing between words that reflects the size of the letters.
- I can write narratives about personal experiences and those of others, both real and fictional.
- I can write for different purposes, including real events.
- I can plan and discuss the content of writing and record my ideas.
- I am able to orally rehearse structured sentences or sequences of sentences.
- I can evaluate my own writing independently
GRAMMAR AND PUNCTUATION
- I can use subordination and co-ordination.
- I can use expanded noun phrases.
- I can say how the grammatical patterns in a sentence indicate its function.
- I consistently use the present tense and past tense correctly.
- I can use the progressive forms of verbs in the present and past tense.
- I use capital letters for names of people, places, day of the week and the personal pronoun ‘I’.
- I correctly use question marks and exclamation marks,
- I can use commas to separate items in a list.
- I can use apostrophes to show where letters are missing and to mark singular possession in nouns.